Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Protein Funk"

When it comes to building muscle and losing body fat, protein is an absolute MUST have! Protein is critical in reparing, building and maintaining muscle mass. You feel more satisfied when you eat protein especially when you eat it in the morning because it helps decrease hunger and satisfy cravings. On top of that, protein is more difficult to digest then carbohydrates and fats so your body burns more energy digesting it. AND...like I said, protein helps build and maintain muscle and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn each day. So as you can see there are a ton of good reasons to eat your protein.


So even after knowing all the benefits of eating protein, I can hardly make myself do it. I'm in a "protein funk" lately. The thought of every type of protein makes me cringe...all I want to eat are carbohydrates. It was my birthday this weekend, and I made myself some special treats...cream cheese pumpkin pie (I did add some protein powder to it!) and whole wheat pumpkin bread. Although I made both of those treats as healthy as possible, they are still high in carbs and low in protein. Hmmm...since I'm on a pumpkin kick, maybe I'll try to make myself a pumpkin protein shake. That should be interesting. I'll let you know how it goes, and whether or not I have to choke it down!

No comments: